1. PRAY FOR GOD TO INTERVENE
You may not know specific people and situations, but God does. If you have a family, you can imagine what people might need. So pray for folks like you. Pray for families with children; for the elderly and infirm and their needs. Pray for the first responders and heroes. In the wake of racial and cultural disarray in our country, pray that God can bring unity and peace in the midst of crisis. But most of all pray for God’s name to be known and glorified in the midst of these difficult times. Just pray.
2. PRAY ABOUT GIVING
Another way to help, if you are able and are led, is to donate financially. There are a number of organizations, including our Disaster Ministry, that are there helping now. Some cities are accepting donations of blankets, clothing, or diapers, and they then have to get them to the areas in need. If it’s money you want to donate, personally, I’m one who looks for organizations that are there to help not only physically, but also spiritually. So when I give, I like to have the Gospel attached to every dollar. So organizations like WestGrove Relief or Franklin Graham’s Samaritan’s Purse are good options, but there may be others.
3. PRAY ABOUT GOING
Right now the focus is on rescue, and rightly so. When the waters recede, the focus will turn to relief. Those same people who were running from their homes will be returning to them, and will continue to be in great need for a long while. Pastor John LaBelle is already making plans to go to the area with a team from our Disaster Relief Ministry as soon as they are able. You can pray about going with them. You can also donate directly to our team simply by writing “DRM” in the Memo portion of your check.
How to Give through WestGrove Relief
- Login to our Arena Portal. If you do not have an account, create one HERE.
- Choose "Give Online" from the right sidebar.
- Fill out the required in formation. You will only have to do this the first time you use Arena.
- Enter the giving amount into the "Disaster Relief Ministry: Harvey" category.
- Select payment method. We accept Credit Card, Debit Card, and Direct Bank Transfers.
- Click "Next," review your information, and then click "Finish" to complete your gift.